Our friends, Steve and Tammy, have power at their house. They are graciously allowing the Schmidt clan to crash at their house while they are out of town this weekend. A computer, telephone, television, hot showers, hair dryer, refrigerator, washer and dryer, an oven...this is luxury.
We have been doing just fine though. Many blessings come from "unplugging" for a few days, as anyone who goes camping knows. Some lessons learned:
- I spend way too much time on the computer.
- Reading by flashlight is tricky.
- I take hot water for granted.
- Without hot water for washing (clothes, dishes, floors, ourselves, little boys), bad smells crop up quickly.
- Grilling is awesome! With only one cooking method, we're trying all kinds of delicious grilled foods...apple crisp, roasted green beans and mushrooms, creole tinfoil packets, honey-drizzled grilled peaches, pizza, chocolate biscuit "clouds." Yes, we are eating quite well.
- I understand why the average nightly hours of sleep was so much higher in ages past. Without electricity, there's little reason to stay up past dark or get up before sunrise. We are well rested!
- Gathering around a couple candles and a single flashlight in the evening is great family bonding time.
- Lacking some of our usual entertainment, we've been telling jokes to one another. Fun!
Louisville Gas and Electric was working two blocks from our home today...it shouldn't be too much longer.