Thursday, June 28, 2007

What do I do all day now that I am unemployed?


Great question!

Actually I have been keeping very busy preparing for my summer and fall classes, working out and spending valuable time with Kimberly and the boys.

I spend the mornings reading and studying at the seminary. Here is a picture of the library at the seminary. I am thoroughly enjoying this blessing. If the pay wasn't so horrible, I would be a career seminarian! I have been reading for my Judges & Ruth class this week. There are two books required; Judges & Ruth Commentary in the NAC series by Daniel Block and Kingdom of Priests by Eugene Merrill. I am almost finished with both, fascinating content. The book of Judges paints a picture of the people of God completely sold out to the world around them. They look more Canaanite than they do Israelite. What a powerful message for the church today. Do we look more like the world or like the bride of Christ, the Church?

The other books that are on my reading list this summer are: Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem; Christianity & Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen; Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis; The Story of Christianity by Justo Gonzalez; The Trinitarian Controvery by William Rusch (ed.); Defence of Truth by Michael Haykin; and Early Christian Doctrines by J.N.D. Kelly. In addition to that I am spending at least an hour each day on my Hebrew. It may seem like a lot, well it is, but, it is very enjoyable and expected with a full class load.

While I am on campus I have been getting some workouts in, combined with our 'No eating out policy' I am losing weight and feeling great!

But the best part of all is my 'job' as a husband and father. We have spent so much time playing, reading, wrestling, etc. God is so very good. I am so thankful that He is giving us this time to learn more about Him so we can love the Church more and more.

2 comments:

Julie Curtis said...

So, Ken, does the "no eating out" include Caribou? Starbucks? How are you surviving? Only kidding!

Eric Olson made a comment on Sunday that I knew you would enjoy. When giving the announcements at the Crossings, he told newcomers that this service is laid back and that it was ok to bring coffee. "Next to what God did through Jesus, coffee brings "new life!"' I am sure he meant no disrespect, of course! It made me smile.

Ashley and the team arrived home safely from New Orleans Sunday evening. She had a positive experience despite the circumstances and surroundings. My baby is growing up! Hug your sons as they soon will be teenagers! No comment.

Kim, I trust you are doing well, adjusting to a "new normal" in the life of the Schmidts. Always a challenge!

We are in for a stormy day which is great as the grass here looks like Texas grass 5 months of the year. Bring it on!

Have a good one!

Julie

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie, the 'no eating out' includes coffee shops. No Caribou down here, just Starbucks. I have good coffee at home, but we are sticking to the plan. I enjoyed reading about the New Orleans trip, I am glad Ashley had the chance to go, it was a life changing trip for me. The boys are growing up before our eyes. It is really dry down here as well, we had a couple of good days of rain but other than that many yards are in sorry shape.

Talk to you soon,

Ken