Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spring Flowers

Lately, I have been taking in the delightful sights and smells of my neighborhood in full bloom.

This type of flowering tree is common around the neighborhood--a type of Magnolia, perhaps?



These are the blossoms on the tree outside our kitchen window ~




A flowering shrub on our neighbor's fence ~




The daffodils at the Zoo's Etscorn Garden ~



Flowers from my sweetheart on our anniversary, the sweetest flowers of them all ~



These are branches of an Eastern Redbud tree, very common in this area ~


I am not trying to rub it in, dear Minnesota friends. You will have your spring soon enough! And isn't it extra sweet after the long winter months?

3 comments:

Amy said...

Kim, the top photo is a white dogwood. I think the second photo is a pink dogwood, but can't tell clearly. They represent Easter...I'll have to look it up exactly, but the center is kind of spiky like the crown of thorns, and the 4 petals look like a cross when flattened out. They bloom around Easter, too. There's more to the symbolism, but I can't remember...? Any other native Kentuckians who can help? :)

Bren said...

I hear snowflakes are in our future this weekend and was wondering if we could just find Steve an electrical gig down there where spring blooms much faster.

Kim said...

Thanks Amy! I believe both the white and pink are dogwood trees. I didn't know the significance.