Thursday, September 27, 2007

What are Calvin and Teddy Dean up to...

Calvin has done well potty-training. He makes it to the potty more often than not and he wakes up dry from bedtime and naps. The only accidents recently have been when Mama forgets to take bathroom breaks when we are out and about. Last weekend, he wet himself while we were at the home of our friends. When I asked why he didn't use the potty, he said, "Michael and Marie have a potty at their house?" There's more to teach him than I ever thought.

We are amazed at all Calvin catches. He recently watched a video called "Timothy Goes to School," a cartoon that shows what school is like, and what sorts of things kids learn at school. This particular video showed one boy making a volcano. I walked into the kitchen two days ago and Calvin was getting into the refrigerator. I asked him what he was looking for. He said, "Baking soda." "Baking soda!" I replied. "Why do you want baking soda?" Calvin told me, "I need baking soda and lemon juice to make a volcano." After making sure he knew he was not to go in the refrigerator without permission, what do you think we did? We made a volcano.

Teddy Dean is standing with the help of a chair or the couch. He is very close to walking. He is also turning into a destruction machine. He and Calvin love to destroy the architectural masterpieces that I make with blocks. Teddy Dean squeals in delight as he hammers blow after blow upon my pyramids, houses, streets, etc.

Every day is an unbelievable adventure in the Schmidt house. Calvin knows where I am going based upon my attire. If I am going to work, he will say, "Are you going to Macaronis daddy?" Then I will ask him if he wants me to go to work or stay home with him. I would love to tell you that it is a 100%, "Stay home with me daddy!", but the truth is that I am only batting .500 on this one.

No comments: