Monday, October 22, 2007

Without Complaining

This morning at breakfast, I told Calvin that we would be going grocery shopping at Meijer today, to buy food for our family. As I looked at his face, I could see it sink in: this was shopping day. I braced myself for whining and complaining. There has been a lot of whining and complaining coming from his mouth lately, so I've been teaching him Philippians 2:14, "Do everything without complaining." To my delight and complete surprise, he said, "I would love to go to Meijer today." Wow.

Training Calvin to do everything without complaining has been convicting for me. Do I model for him what it looks like not to complain about work, chores, tiredness, people? Sometimes. Sometimes not.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hi Kim,

Your comment on complaining has stuck with me all week! (Conviction is so difficult!) I apologized to the kids as a result for complaining about taking care of our new puppy. :) (See the kids' comment just posted on Sept. 4 entry) Thank you for reaching across the miles to convict this veteran(?)mom in an area I used to be more diligent about! Have a great week, and keep up the good work; it will make your life with the boys more joyful for years to come!!

Love, Nancy Ahrenholz