Friday, June 13, 2008

The SBC in Indianapolis

I had the privilege of attending the Southern Baptist Convention annual meeting this week. I want to share some of my thoughts about the meeting over a series of blogs. Today I want to comment on the highlights of the convention for me personally.

First, I was able to meet with Dr. Paige Patterson for a 30-minute interview. For those of you who are not familiar with SBC life, Dr. Patterson is one of the most well-known persons in all of SBC life. He currently serves as the President of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Texas. He is a kind and gracious man. When we sat down he asked me about me and my family. He answered every question I had and then shared some invaluable advice to me as a young pastor. I walked away from this interview praising God that he has raised up men like Dr. Patterson to defend the faith earnestly.

Second, Stuart and Krysten Getty, modern day hymn writers led us in worship for one session. These two are amazing, they have written two of my favorite hymns: In Christ Alone and The Power of the Cross. If you have not heard their hymns, check out their music at this site.

Third, the Southern Seminary Alumni and Friends Luncheon was first-class. I love Southern Seminary and it was so much fun seeing old friends and hearing how God is using them. My pastoral heart was overjoyed to hear of many serving in local churches across the country. I also met some great alumni. Dr. John Newland, newly elected 2nd Vice President of the SBC, sat at my table and we had a nice visit. He pastors a church in Indianapolis and he shared with me the need for churches in Indiana (nearly 80% of all Indianians are unchurched).

That is enough, more later...

No comments: