Wednesday, March 26, 2008

That's What Little Boys Are Made Of...

Snips and snails, and puppy dog tails,
that's what little boys are made of!
~ 19th Century Nursery Rhyme
Today was gorgeous--warm and sunny and perfect for playing outdoors. The boys tossed aside their outdoor toys today and instead turned to nature. Bugs, in particular. They discovered an anthill. The anthill led them to a mud puddle. They splashed and slopped in the mud until they had dirty brown faces and wet filthy pants legs. Meanwhile, I was pulling some weeds from the garden. Calvin found a slug and then asked if I could please find him a worm. Every time I dug up some earth with a creepy crawly in it, I called out, "Worm!" and the boys would come running over for a new treasure. Then they found The Worm. It was the biggest I have ever seen. Teddy was the first with the guts to pick it up. Soon they were both taking turns holding it, giggling uncontrollably as it slipped around in their hands.
I was delighted to watch my boys being boys.
I just didn't want them to touch me with those muddy worm-germ hands.
When it was time to go inside, it was straight to the bathtub, of course.

No comments: